Tuesday, February 14, 2006

it's a mad house

I lost my Planet of the Apes cherry when I was just 7 years-old, to a 75 foot wide movie screen down at the local Central Drive-In. It was the summer of ’68 and I had seen enough trailers and TV ads, magazine covers, comic book spreads, and an endless supply of Apes cameos on TV to set my imagination spinning into overdrive. My little brain was on fire with the thought of a planet full of monkeys who acted and spoke just like humans did. I had to see this movie! And there’s no better place to watch Planet of the Apes than at a drive-in. At that same drive-in was the place I saw all the subsequent Apes flicks, as well (all except for Battle for the Planet of the Apes, which I saw at the matinee in East Aurora, NY while visiting cousins).



After seeing the flick, I was hooked for life. I tried to get a hold of as many POTA knick knacks as I could. I never had the chance of owning or listening to the Power Records audio versions of the hit movies, but a couple years back at the WFMU Record Fair in NYC I had the great luck of coming across an LP that contained four tracks of Apes plays that were previously used as Little Power Record 45s.


Sure, they're not the masterpieces that the films were, but for fans who go apeshit over Apes, they're well worth a listen... oh yeah, I guess they're supposed to be fun for kids, too, on account 'a that they're made for them.

If you're really into POTA, check out this site.

download the Power Record LP that you've been eyeballin' up there (along with the cool cover art) here: http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=25857

No comments:

PopCereal's Fan Box

PopCereal on Facebook