Thursday, October 14, 2010

Don't Be Afraid of the TV!

What were you watching this week, 37 years ago?


Like a step into the Time Machine, I can tell you exactly what I was doing 37 years ago this week. I happened upon a bunch of old TV Guides at a household sale I was helping out with. Amongst the many issues, which spanned the decades of the 60s through to present day, I found one dated Oct. 6-12, 1973, and took a look see to find if I could recall what I watched on the tube that particular week. I almost spit out my Fruity Pebbles when I came across the listings for Wednesday night, October 10.
And that's exactly what this 11 year old kid was doing that very night.  It would become one of my all time favorite TV Movies.  What a blast.

Then, a flip of a couple pages brought me to Friday night, Oct. 12.  This is the the treat that was in store for a creepy little kid, who was looking for more Halloween season treats:
Surprisingly, the write up doesn't mention that this little monster flick was produced and directed by Dark Shadows creator Dan Curtis.  Jack Palance seems an unlikely candidate for the role of the Casanova of all monsters, but I don't know that I even recognized him back then.  I may have seen him in some westerns or something, but hell, it didn't matter.  The guy was absolutely creepy (but not as creepy as the 1968 version of Dr. Jekkyl & Mr. Hyde, also directed by Curtis).

I think maybe I'll put my DVDs of these movies in the Time Machine and experence them all over again.

2 comments:

José Viruete said...

I watched the Dracula movie as a Kid... it scared out the hell of me!!

Cinema Du Meep said...

Oh my lord, I wish I was around to have watched Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark tfirst run on TV... I came along 2 years later. When I saw this on TV some time later I was freaked the f! out. Love this one. And Dracula was pretty good, too!

PopCereal's Fan Box

PopCereal on Facebook